Frequently Asked Questions

How do I volunteer to become a trainer and/or other volunteer?

If you are interested in training or volunteering with Freedom Dogs, send your request to We will send you information describing the opportunities and expectations related to the available positions. If you remain interested after reviewing this information, contact us and we will direct you to the appropriate person at Freedom Dogs to begin the process.

How do I apply for a service dog?

The Medical staff personnel with the Wounded Warrior Battalion–West on Camp Pendleton in Oceanside, CA select the participants for the Freedom Dogs’ Partner Program. Due to Freedom Dogs’ unique program, applicants who desire one of our permanently placed service dogs must first complete our Partner Program.

During the warrior’s participation in the Partner Program, the medical staff may determine that a permanently placed service dog would be of benefit. If so, the participant may then begin the application process for our Partner for Life Program.

Do you train dogs for use outside of your organization?

Freedom Dogs has strict requirements for puppies that enter our program. Our puppies are placed with one of our trainers at approximately eight weeks of age.  Their training begins immediately and continues for two to two-and-a-half years.  The training of a specialty service dog is extremely time-consuming and expensive. Due to these constraints, Freedom Dogs is only able to train dogs we specifically select for our program.

Do you accept dog donations and what is the process?

Freedom Dogs appreciates the opportunity to consider puppy donations to our program. We are looking for smart, healthy, happy, and well-socialized dogs to provide the very best animals possible for our military heroes. We select breeds that are perceived by the public as friendly and approachable dogs. Public perception greatly impacts our heroes’ ability to reintegrate back into public and a full and purposeful life. Labrador Retrievers are the predominate breed used in our program. For more information, please call us at 619-223-6574 or email us at

I live outside your area. Can you refer me to similar service dog organizations in other parts of the country?

You can find information about other organizations at these websites:

Assistance Dogs International

International Association Assistance Dog Partners (IAADP)

What types of supplies do you need?

We need everything from dog food and treats to training supplies and crates. For more information, go to Donate Services and Goods.

Featured Video >

ADI Accreditation Decal
TPI Accreditation Decal